Sunday, June 24, 2007

Spoke And Heard: Taalam Acey



Taalam Acey may seem like just another ordinary poet by appearance, but when he opens his mouth, one can see why he is regarded as one of the best and hardest working spoken word artist of his generation. Not only has he published a novel, but also a collection of poems, an award winning memoir and 9 spoken word Cd's. Acey also performs regularly in more than 50 cities in the US and abroad every year.

Video: A Market For Niggas






Taalam's work has been featured in many media outlets such as BET, TV One and Essence Magazine. Always the teacher, Talaam spends most of his time touring colleges and Universities. Talaam Speaks further about his motivation for poetry:

"I’m motivated by making art for my culture. I wish to be well regarded by those of us who think and feel deeply. And not just now, but fifty years from now. I am motivated by the horizon of projects up ahead. I rationalize this existence through my art. It helps me to understand myself, my children, and the people around me. Graciously, providence allows me to provide for my children while being an artist. I’m not getting rich but I am privileged enough to have the comfort to sit back and see life for what it is and, on some days, I can even see beyond it."

Excerpt From www.taalamacey.com





Acey is also an accomplished slam poet who has won slams throughout the United States as well as in Germany and England.

When I first heard "A Market For Niggas", I felt my reasons for why I created this magazine were validated. The face of Hip-Hop needs to change before the youth become further brainwashed with the belief that the Gang Life and the drug dealing mentality it portrays is cool or manly. Men like Taalam Acey are what this industry needs in order to make a change in today's society. He brings the "Lyric" back in "Lyricist". I Don't even Have to tell you this man is Hyphenated. Visit Taalam Acey@ http://www.myspace.com/officialtaalamacey




Peace.Love.H-Life

J. Poakwa

1 comment:

The Views I Agree With said...

This was an excellent blog!!!
I invite you to read my book review of Troubled Soul Refinery,
Taalam's latest book at:
www.mindelevated.blogspot.com
Peace!