Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hyphenated LA: Nipsey Hussle


When the Game first hit the scene, I was hyped, but a bit skeptical. Beef and ten 50 Cent Disstapes later my worst fears were confirmed. Every time a rapper emerges out of the West with a flag flyin' on their left side, yeah that's the Crip side, I get a little anxious. I'm always hyped to see a cat from the same corner i'm from get on and actually have talent to back up his Gangsterdom, but with recent fails *Cough* Spider Loc *Cough*, and the fading talent of vets like Snoop, It's hard to put all your trust in the crooked letters. So with that said, I am once again hyped! World meet Neighborhood Nip b.k.a (No Crippin') Nipsey Hussle.


Now from first glance one might draw resemblance to a young Snoop, and for good reason. Nipsey Hussle is bringing back that feel good Gangsta shit you felt the first time you heard Gin & Juice. What makes me even more excited for the success of this cat is his believability. Every rapper has a hood behind them, but Nipsey is one of the first in a while to come off as an authentic LA hood nigga. In the broken English of "The Wood", "That Nigga's a Crip" (you get my point). Hood, Lyrical, Crippin'. What more could you ask for. As a bonus to his first single Hussle in the house (Above), I've added the behind the scenes footage from the shoot. Nipsey, I look forward to workin' with you, Def. Hyphenated.


Peace.Love.H-Life

-J. Poakwa The Writer

No comments: